What is Epicycloid?
- The cycloid is called the epicycloid when the generating circle rolls along another circle outside(directing circle)
- The curve traced by a point on a circle which rolls on the out side of a circular base surface
CONSTRUCTION OF EPICYCLOID
- Step1: Draw and divide the circle in to 12 equal divisions.
- Step 2: Transfer the 12 divisions on to the base surface.
- step3: Mark the 12 positions of the circle- centers (C1,C2,C3,C4..) as the circle rolls on the base surface.
- Step 4: Project the positions of the point from the circle.
- Step 5: Using the radius of the circle and from the marked centers C1,C2,C3,C4.. etc cut off the arcs through 1,2,3.. etc
- Step 6: Darken the curve